Snap Circuits Motion Kit
Elenco’s Snap Circuits series of kits have long been among my favorite projects for kids. They’re a fantastic way to introduce young’uns to electrical engineering concepts without dealing with tools or hot soldering irons — the circuit components simply and literally snap together to do cool stuff.
- Assembling a walking “crawler” bot
- Building an airplane with a spinning, animated-LED propeller (it doesn’t fly though, FYI)
- Build a model car that responds to switches for movement
- Setting up a motion-detecting alarm
- Creating a merry-go-round with music and light
Components include various kinds of switches, resistors, motors, diodes, gears of differing sizes (you can experiment with ratios!), jumper snap wires, a speaker, a motion detector, an air fountain (with included ball and spout), and more.