Pre-order the Sony α7 III Mirrorless Camera
Sony recently announced the upcoming release of their long-awaited α7 III full-frame mirrorless camera, which promises to be a dramatic upgrade to 2014’s α7 II model. There’s almost too much stuff to talk about for one blog post, but here’s a quick rundown of what’s new:
- Sensor + Processor: While the α7 III’s resolution is roughly the same as before (24.2MP vs the old 24.3MP), the new backside-illumination (BSI) sensor captures light more efficiently, and combined with the new BIONZ-X processor, the performance is 1.8x faster than before.
- ISO range: The α7 II’s native ISO range was
100–25600, while the new α7 III has a base range of
100–51200— expandable up to
ISO 204800for stills and
102400for video — making it even more capable in low-light situations, especially with the new BSI sensor taken into account.
- Autofocus: The α7 III’s AF system is effectively the same as the higher-end Sony α9’s, sporting 693 phase-detection points (93% coverage) and 425 contrast-detection points, with twice the performance speed as before.
- 4K video recording, downscaled from 6K for added sharpness and detail.
- 10fps burst rate, up from 5fps.
- Touchscreen controls, plus the joystick and button layout of the Sony α7R III.
- Improved battery life: The new NP-FZ100 battery offers 2.2x the capacity as the α7 II’s NP-FW50 one. On a full charge, you should be able to take ~710 photos.
- Dual SD card slots, one with UHS-II compatibility, whereas the α7 II had only one UHS-1 slot.
There are even more things I could get into here, but I think you get the idea. The Sony α7 III will release on April 10th, 2018 and can be pre-ordered with (or without) a lens of your choice: