IKEA’s “ENEBY” Bluetooth Speakers
I was browsing an IKEA store yesterday, and happened across the ENEBY 30 Bluetooth speaker set up in a “living room” near their gadgets section. I wasn’t in a hurry or anything, and I was curious that IKEA would even be selling something like that, so I figured I’d stop and test it out.
After pairing my iPhone with it — which was a breeze, I might add — I tried a few songs in Apple Music and the live version of Mutemath’s “Used To”, and I was blown away how good this thing sounded, even when I cranked it loud. (Sorry for that, everyone in the store who probably hated me for a minute.) The highs were clear even at upper volumes, and the bass was surprisingly sonorous. While I wouldn’t tell you to expect miracles from a furniture store speaker, this one gives a lot of bang for its buck, and the minimalist look is right up my alley.
The speaker actually comes in two sizes:
- ENEBY 30 (12″ x 12″ x 4″) in white + grey or black ($89)
- ENEBY 20 (8″ x 8″ x 3″) in white + grey or black ($49)
The smaller one (ENEBY 20) isn’t too bad either, but I would really recommend the larger ENEBY 30 instead.
Some notes about buying one of these:
- You apparently can’t buy one from the IKEA website; it’s in-store only. Sorry to anyone who doesn’t live near one :(
- The speaker can stand on its own or be wall-mounted. The larger ENEBY 30 also looks good on either the EKET or KALLAX IKEA shelving lines, as long as you don’t have the speaker’s handle attached.
- It has a 3.5mm AUX port if you’d rather use that than connect via Bluetooth.
- They offer a separate battery pack ($20) that makes the speaker a more portable option, with 8–10 hours of playback time.
- Up to 8 devices can be paired with the speaker. However, at this time, two speakers are not able to pair with one another for stereo sound.
- You can adjust the bass and treble by holding in the volume/power button for a few seconds until the light flashes slowly.
The mesh fabric on the front can be removed to achieve a different look: