Bruvelo — Smart Pour-Over Coffee Brewer
There are essentially two types of coffee drinkers in the world:
- Those who believe brewing coffee is not only about the end product, but also the ritual itself. Preparing a cup by hand in the morning is how we center ourselves before starting each day. We also tend to read and write more about coffee craft than any sane person should.
- Those who just want their caffeine fix, and would as soon hit a button and head out the door than try to get fancy just after waking. Quality is not necessarily the goal.
Those of us in the first group are in a clear minority. There’s a reason Keurig machines are so ubiquitous. Still, there’s no reason group #2 can’t also enjoy a higher quality cup, a problem the Bruvelo smart coffee brewer aims to solve.
When I say this Kickstarter project is an all-in-one coffee brewer, I mean it. It’s got everything:
- Ceramic burr grinder
- Weigh scale
- High-quality water filter
- Variable-flow shower head
- Variable-steep brew chamber
- Adjustable water heater (199°F by default)
- Digital console
- Wi-Fi connectivity / iPhone app
It brews coffee the way you would with a pour over brewer, except it does all the work for you. It weighs and grinds the beans, pre-rinses the filter, and even accounts for coffee bloom. It does all of this surprisingly quietly too.
On top of that, you have the option of connecting your iPhone to Bruvelo over Wi-Fi, allowing you to create recipes for specific beans. Set the temperature, ground-to-water ratio, and steep time for a given bean, and from then on a simple tap is all it takes to get your ideal brew.
The Bruvelo Kickstarter project will end on Friday, November 21st, 2014. To back the project and get a brewer of your own will run you $350 (or $300, if you’re quick enough to get in on the early bird tier).