Bellroy “Marine Blue” Bag Collection
Bellroy’s new “Marine Blue” range of bags follows on the heels of their “Red Earth” collection in that they’re made from recycled materials, except these materials are sourced from pre-consumer industrial waste that form the basis of the company’s own “Baida” nylon.
Named for the ocean and based on the Korean word for ‘sea’ (bada 바다), this high-performance recycled nylon is naturally durable and lightweight, featuring a heat-treated yarn for an intriguing and unique crinkle-textured matte finish, along with a compact weave for added robustness in the face of both the elements and everyday wear-and-tear.
As a bonus, the fabric has also been treated with an environmentally friendly water-resistant coating.
Chase Reeves talks a lot about the look and feel of this nylon in his review of the Bellroy “Apex” bag (which was the first to test the fabric):
This is a material that performs admirably in the outdoors while meeting the aesthetic and sensory needs of indoor settings. You’re gonna love it.
The Marine Blue collection spans a number of bag styles — most of which are pictured above — including backpacks, slings, and totes, plus some newly released travel-specific backpacks and weekenders (which will be fantastic when we’re all able to venture out into the world again):
- Classic Backpack (20L) ($139) and Classic Backpack Plus (30L) ($179) — Can’t go wrong with this all-rounder style.
- Sling ($99) and Sling Mini ($89) — An agile pouch for hands-free trips in the city, that keeps your pockets light.
- Tokyo Tote ($129) — A clever kind of carry-all.
- Duo Totepack ($289) — Successfully marries the look of a backpack with the functionality of a tote bag.
- Weekender 30L ($249) (also available in 45L for $279) — A weekend and travel bag with easy organization.
- Flight Bag ($329) — A professional carry-on that goes from the office to the airport.
- Transit Backpack ($239) and Transit Backpack Plus ($289) — An extra capacity backpack for big adventures.
They’ve also got plans to add a Classic Pouch, Dopp Kit, Pencil Case, and Tech Kit to the lineup, so stay tuned for those.